Monday, June 18, 2007

Jealousy Sets In

My friend is in Berkley studying Latin all summer. I don't really want to know latin but I'm very jealous of the fact that she's preparing for her doctoral studies at UNM. It's weird to feel this way. Weird indeed.

But I did my own work today. I read through the dialogue Euthyphro (not the best translation through this link. I read in in analogue format) this morning and put some effort into contemplating it today. It's a little much for one sit-down but I kicked this idea around.

"The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods. "

Very tough meat to chew on a busy Monday afterknoon. But that was after I contemplated if Socrates was the kind of guy who would just ask you questions to make you look stupid. Or better put, was he "that guy" who plays Devil's Advocate or claims to play Devil's Advocate erstwhile actually just getting his personal rocks off by asking question after question till the person answering them gets irritated, frustrated, confused and finally concedes that the jack-ass of an idiot playing Devil's Advocate is right simply to get them to shut the fuck up.

I still look at these works through the filter of 2K+ years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never be jealous of a PhD let alone a PhD student. They make no money, the conservatives paint them out to be teh problem and 1/2 of society has nothing they can say to them about anything.

Can you send an e-mail to adorablegirlfriend at yahoo dot com? Your e-mail did not go through?