Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Heel Draggin'

In an unprecidented move, I've taken a long 37 months to get rid of Ol' Green, my beloved '93 Dodge Dakota. I still own it, but I am picking up my new "ride" tomorrow. A seven year upgrage to a pollution machine that will only aid in creating more ecological misfortune.

Ol Green has decided to be a disgruntled little child and break down not three days before I get his replacement. Seems as though the alternator has been the target this time and the check engine light turned on (diagnotics yet to be run on that... seems to be running alright though, but that's never a good indicator.)

I finally got the financing lined up today and the title is ready for the exchange tomorrow. Hurray. No more 15 mpg. Just another car payment and the usual routine of living.

But I would rather be getting something like this.

A co-worker of mine has already put his name on the waiting list. But he's semi-retired and has the money to do that. Maybe in ten years, I'll be able to afford something like that... yeah right. Not with a worthless liberal arts degree and jobs that don't offer cost of living raises.

I did have a discussion with him about or continued reliance on lnag distance transportation. This is an idea that I started kicking around back in college. The notion that we as greedy, self-serving americans (or humans, perhaps) feel it's our RIGHT!!! to be able to live thirty, fourty, fifty miles away from a major population center yet still be able to go there when we feel like it, not just out of necessity for supplies.

Park county Montana has two main population centers. Gardner and Livingston. There is roughly fifty miles between the two town. And yet that drive will take you past large house after large house (some of them former ranches split up into subdivisions.) If you were to take all of that land and turn it into something more useful than a personal playground for rich folks and force those rich folks to live within a certain radius of the several population centers, you would make a lot of people unhappy that their personal freedom to consume, use, and hoard land would be gone, but you could do some things to affect environmental (and possibly economic) for the communities.

It is by no means a completely thought out idea. I just have some fanciful visions at this point and I don't see myself ever really making it into something to argue about, but it's there. Concentrate populations to aid in economy (not to be confused with "the economy"), force people to live near the supermarkets, barber shops, and watering holes. Keep the land in a more natural state, blah blah blah... enviromental ideaology. Truth is, people don't care. Don't give a damn. They're concerned about themselves. What they want, and how they can get it. Plain and simple.

People suck.

3 comments:

Leah Muthafuckin Novak said...

Smart cars are rad. I'm worried it'll be the the VW Bug and all the rich girls will get them and put flowers all over and drive like butt-tards.
We'll see......

Dean ASC said...

My FJ will tear your vacuum cleaner powered smart car into confetti that I will use to decorate a life size cake of a smart car. I figure I will have to pay Betty Crocker about $4.50 for the batter.

You can't put the bars within walking distance of where people live. There will be no OUI's and the city will go bankrupt.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Wait, I'm confused. What did you actually get?