Wednesday, January 02, 2008

And other assorted german phrases...

First offical day back at the routine.

I finally got out to do some cross-country skiing yesterday. I had been waiting for the shop I purchased my new skis from to put on the new bindings. I think they may have called me to let me know that they were ready for pick up but I never got a message... just a hang up from a downtown number. Hmm...

I've been using an old pair of Alpina skis and boots that I'm pretty sure were manufactured to convince people to stay away from cross-country skiiing. The boots were the most uncomfortable footware on the planet.

But all that's changed. I also got a new pair of boots. Boots designed for the backcountry. Long days out treking. Comfort was the word of the day.

The skis are slick. Super fast. They don't grip as well as they should, but I can take care of that with a little base tweaking. On the flats I was having a blast just cruising without even really having to exert any effort. The hills were a little sketchy but managable.

All in all, good first day of the year. After Skiing, I made a huge pot of chili. Kicked back and sat next to the fireplace while zoning out to the dull glow of televison.

I have about six more weeks of "training" before the Birkie. Will I be ready?

(probably not.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skiing, eh?

Good for you! AG has been avoiding the snow. And no doubt: it's been hard as heck with the storms coming through on like an hour basis!

Anonymous said...

That's totally sweet! I am glad to see you are on the wagon and I look forward to whoopin' yer hide at the Birkie.