Monday, January 30, 2006

Things seem so insignificant right now. Can't say a whole lot because I'm very tired and I've shut down emotionally. I walked to Frostwoods Park at about midnight and stood at the center of the basketball court and I could see him doing his spin move right under the basket. Moving through everybody and then hitting his shot. Shit-eatin' grin on his face. I'm so glad that I was here in Madison this summer to play ball. I'm glad that I was at Lake Kegonsa with the dive-bomb acorns. I'm glad I was at Blue Mounds and the swimming pool.

He gave me a ride to Chicago this past summer. Got me on a plane back to my home for a week.

The last time I saw him, he gave me a ride back to my truck.

I didn't get to tell him that that girl got married.

I miss him already. I'll miss him dearly.

A.E. 1/29/06 7:30PM

3 comments:

k.barrick said...

Hey. In a really strange time for a compliment, what you wrote about the basketball court is really beautiful.

Prayed for ya and A.E. (in my non-church going way) last night. Thinkin' about all of you today.

Anonymous said...

zachy,

it's good to see you writing again.

again, i am very sorry to hear about your friend. as i said to you on the phone this morning, i understand your pain, your grief. i feel rather helpless though, all i can offer is a long distance hug. ( i hate this distance thing at times. still. )

from my heart to yours, i send my love.

Anonymous said...

i came back to read this tonight. your best writing ever, in such a handful of short paragraphs.

i always felt that when you let your heart open up you are at your best.

there again, what do i know? "i don't know", and i have learned and say it just as you do. to this day.

love you,

dave