Thursday, May 10, 2007

Crustin Timberlake

Two days in a row for a post.

I've been off the radar for a while. You would think that only working part-time would afford me plenty of time to post awesome things about the economy or make these scathing comments about how gas prices are worse than listening to MC 900 Foot Jesus, but in fact, it hasn't really been all that important.

Here's why.

I was talking with a friend of mine who is a journalist about the nature of journalism these days. Seems that the trend, from his perspective, is that with all of the "information" flying around the internets these days, people don't want to watch tv news unless it's exciting. People don't want to hear just the facts, they want opinions and "drama." So I've been wondering why I'm even "blogging." I feel like most of the time, what I post just isn't worth taking up someone else's time, albeit three minutes. Still... How many more times can I entertain people with 'facts' like Boys Over Flowers is a better read than Zatch Bell. Or even better yet, introduce new words into the popular lexicon like "Shonk!" or "Ba-zow!" (I was cracking up about shonk pretty much all morning.)

But the truth is, I've been searching for a new avenue for life. I'm reaching that age that some would call the Saturnic Return and regardless, it's something that's just unsettling. Which dreams do I let die, which do I pursue? When do I decide that Madison is over and it's time to leave for the place that I consider home? How in the hell do I afford any of that? They're all relatively simple questions to answer. But I don't just want words as answers. I want actions.

So I'm taking action. I am reading again. I'm reading a lot of stuff I wouldn't normally look into. I've gone back to my old routine of sitting in the stacks at the library and reading a book I've pulled until I lose interest and then wandering off to find another one until something really strikes me as interesting. This is exactly how I ended up with my B.A. in Philosophy. I read a book that blew my mind and I decided that I wanted to study deeper. I'm seeking that new vein. Looking for the next lode. And it'll be big when I find it.

But in the meantime, I listen to A LOT of left talk radio. I hear all the crying and moaning and wailing and gnashing of teething about this and that and it really makes me tired of even caring about the "which side you on" mentality. It's not a matter of which side you're on. It's a matter of realizing that every time we get grifted into thinking that some "Moral" issue is the thing we should be arguing about, we are being led away from the simple idea of Profit over People. Plain and simple. And that's where I'm at right now.

So you want to talk about how Paris Hilton should or shouldn't have to rot in jail for 45 days. So you want to argue about the University of Wisconsin System and how it may or may not extend benefits to life partners for same sex couples. Go ahead. It's the same as watching Real World reruns all summer long on your Dell laptop at the pool. Make sure you stay in the shallow end though. Heaven forbid you might have to swim.

6 comments:

samandmegan said...

if a change of scenery would help you make some decisions, there's a spare room in ABQ. new mexico has been know to inspire some people....

RicketyFunk said...

Don't tempt me. I was thinking about leaving Madison today. It was such a lifting feeling to pretend, even for a few seconds that I would be leaving this town soon.

I just get tired of beating my head against the same wall all the time.

gotta stop doing that.

Dean ASC said...

I saw the biggest cockroach I've ever seen in Albeqerque.

k.barrick said...

I just watched an animal planet show about baby tigers!!!

TIGER!!!

samandmegan said...

just for a weekend....

Anonymous said...

ABQ...where the water is running out and the Sonic will make you barf! AG has spent a few sad business trips there. However, balloon fiesta was fun and the people are much nicer than those of us from the cold N'oreast.