Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Back to the lowlands

I got off the plane Sunday night. Five hours after I left Montana, I was back in Wisconsin. I really hate flying if only for the fact that I spent most of yesterday in a dislocated funk. Last summer when I rode the dog out and back for the fourth I had a solid three days, there and back again, in which to mentally/emotionally adjust to the changes. Flying does not afford me those important hours to cement in my head the distance between where I am and where I was.

I took some pictures. They're still on the camera. I had meetings with some of my old professors. I now have homework that I have to finish by the end of the "semester". Once that's taken care of, the ball for graduate studies will begin to roll. (When it gets to wherever it's going is a differnt story.)

All in all, I realized that there isn't much back there that I don't have here. Of course there are tradeoffs. I wouldn't have a band out there. I would have to pay more for housing (but less for food). I would have fewer options of entertainment and would likely end up back in a routine of drinking more... But I would have the mountains and a different set of friends to spend time with. I was offered a job in a trade if I moved back.... Ugh.

I don't know.

In the end, I have to keep on with the band. Friday before I left, I purchased a copy of the new Radiohead album. I've already listened the details out of it. I read some reviews yesterday and I think that anyone who is already saying things like, "It's no The Bends or OK Computer," needs to shut the hell up. Radiohead is a band composed of members who are learning more about their craft. They're going to keep doing different things. Don't expect them to retread ground they've already covered. (Advice I gave myself on vacation... Don't retread ground you've alread covered.) If anything, In Rainbows (and my vacation) has given me some new inspiration, some challenges to apply myself to, and a good perspective on where I should probably be putting my energies.

I'll get to the pictures soon. After I get my laundry done. I didn't take care of that yesterday 'cause I sold the Dodge and then went over to Travis' to give him his gift, a copy of Lawrence Frelinghetti's A Far Rockaway of the Heart and ended up hanging out the rest of the evening.

1 comment:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

RF, what' s your band?