Thursday, November 29, 2007

Don't want to believe it

Two night this week I've spent working on a song. A christmas song. A terrible christmas song... and the initial tracks are all in the can. Travis and I got together on Monday night and wrote out the chord structures for the verse and bridge and penned the basic lyric outline. Last night we got together and recorded acoustic guitars, drums, electric guitars, bass and some sleigh bells along with two sketchy vocal tracks. Yours truly singing lead and Count Trav-u-la adding the backing vocals on the chorus. I'm still working out the mix. I think it could use a jangly piano to go with it, but that's probably not going to happen unless I feel really ambitious. (Probably not going to happen.)

Again, let me remind you, IT'S TERRIBLE!!! so before you go clamoring for a copy of it, think real hard...

And now I'm going to get all detailed on ya'll. The acoustic guitars got scrapped on account of the insane action of my guitar. Every time I played through the song, I kept screwing up a chord change here or there. Nothing major, but it still didn't flow as nicely as it should have. After that, I sat down on my drum kit and played a boring beat that didn't really have much purpose behind it. It's been quite some years since I've seriously played drums. It's probably been a couple months since I even sat down and hit the skins for more than a few minutes. My chops are shot and my timing is rusty. The ideas are there but the execution is sub-par so we scrapped that idea too.

After that, I decided that I wanted to use my electric. I just plugged straight through my processor with a modeled fender preamp tone. It's not the real thing but it has a nice simulated quality to it. Travis dropped his bass track after than and then it was sleigh bell time.

The vocals are kinda all over the place. I didn't really establish a melody and winged it while reading the lyrics. One pass at the song with several breaks to get my entry note right. The chorus ends up in a different key than the verse (or at least the way I hear it) so I was singing the wrong note when I came back from the chorus. Travis put down the backing vocals with a nice Dylan-esque stamp. One take.

But enough about my boring night last night.

Tonight is "the big game". I'm going to be glad when it's over. I'm sick of hearing "two ten and one teams", blah, blah blah... There's been a big to do about Charter not carrying "the enn" in the area. There's been all kinds of ads on radio, television, and in print about how this company sucks or that company sucks but in the end, I think it boils down to one thing.


$$$


and when it's all about money, in the back of my mind I can't help but think that there's something else I should be doing. Something more constructive. Something that doesn't require me to listen to Madden and Michaels (or even worse Gumpbell and Collinsworth) yammer on about how much they want to get in bed with Brady and Moss or Romo and Owens.

I'll still be watching the game. I made plans to go to a local public house and get an average bowl of chili and a beer and sit with a bunch of people who are going to get "real depressed" after the game is over (outcome dependent) (unlike me who will at some point get depressed during the game about the fact that I'm sitting there watching it. Emphasis on watching.)

but first things first. Of to the gym to get rid of some stress.

No comments: