Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What hasn't happened?

Or "What IS up with that?"

In the last week I've learned a lot about a lot of things.  I "fired" myself from my new job during training.  Got home and have been scrambling to get (scrambled eggs? NO!) resumes out the door.

It will be a good decision since I wasn't felling like the new job was the right direction.  Sure, the travel benefits would have been nice, but I've had "travel benefits" before (via a credit card and a lot of free time) and I'm still paying that back.  I need to focus on certain things and have a schedule I can agree on and they weren't really talking when I asked what my schedule would be.

So throw that on the pile with the canceled reservation for my initial intake flight and the statement "You have to treat this job like it's your full time job"  (when it's part time?  fukyu) and I had a lot of unease keeping me up at night.

I also realized last week that I had forgotten why I decided to study Philosophy in the first place... and have been kicking around the notion that I may have finally discovered (or remembered) what it was that I really wanted to get at when I started at MSU.  It got lost in the shuffle of Epistemology and Kantian Metaphysics or more likely was diluted by all of the lack-of-focus binge drinking.

But perhaps what I should realize is that "Binge Drinker" is a job title that some people carry like golden apples.  Mayhaps that is truly where my strengths lie...

And the band continues unabated.  Show in Milwaukee tonight with "that girl" doing some backup vocals.  If you've talked to me about this, you know how I feel.  If your a bit intuitive, it should be relatively obvious how I feel.  Solo project idea becoming more like a storm cloud hovering over the midwest.  (Speaking of which, they evacuated the hospital I was born in in Cedar Rapids last week.  My grandma's house is on one of the highest hills in the city.  No worries there.)  Flood a'commin?  Maybe.  The mixing is moving along.  I've been pushing this week.  By the weekend I want to have twelve songs done.  I've got six done right now (with just a few minor tweakings that I think need to happen.)  It gets easier each time I do one.   I just hope the band is cool with my refusal to actually use any of their suggestions once I'm done. 

Travis: "Can you drop the bass in this song just a hair?  It seems loud."  
Me: "No."

And I've been wondering about the connection between "On the Road" and this blog.  Someone (awesome) made the suggestion that there was a correlation.  




3 comments:

Susan Kaye said...

Glad to hear you are okay, you Adonis of binge drinking.

Adorable Girlfriend said...

Good for you. You have to follow your heart sometimes.

Me, I follow the Jewish doctors.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

RF, nice job last night. We like your stuff. Not boring at all.

Hey have you ever thought about using some delay on your guitar? :)

FWIW: notwithstanding the situation with 'that girl', it sounded good.

Looking forward to seeing some discs.