Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Vandals in the parking lot

"Hey bros it's been a while since I rapped at ya..." I've got my excuses. Mostly bad ones. But an excuse is just a reason you haven't accepted yet.

Or how about this one? "It's not that the good times end, they just turn into other good times." I think I screwed that one up. What's the one about rats? Oh yeah... "Rat Stevens" That's almost as bad as Ferrett Bueler or Paws Skaggs.

So what's the point of all of this? Nothing. (you know what I like about you? Nothing!)

I've been busy recording demos for the band. We have seven new songs that are complete without lyrics. Danny and Travis want recorded copies of these songs to rehearse with (this means electro drums for Travis and Bass Lines for Danny) and Joe doesn't really seem to give a damn about finishing these songs. I've been fuming about that most of the morning. Now I'm fuming about it here. Consider yerself shat upon. Then there's the two other ideas Travis has and a smattering of ideas I come up with and then forget. All that and nothing to show for it.

But I went to a 'battle" of the bands that didn't really incorporate much battl'n on Sunday night and felt that had "the i" been a part of it, we would have taken second. (behind Know Boundaries who were the clear winners by a long shot.) But it's in the past and I'm in the now. (And the local music scene here is an insular joke anyway.)

Since last week, I've been reading a book by Brad Hooker called Ideal Code, Real World. It deals with rule-consequentialism moral theory. I'm reading it to write a short paper to get an even shorter paper and I'm not going to try to explain it at this point because I don't feel like I've got a good grasp on the topic yet. Which leads into the fact that I've discovered something interesting about myself. Now that I'm not in college, I really want this paper to mean something, and not just to the audience (professor) but to myself. Several years ago, I would have read the book, cranked out a ten pager and handed it in without even bothering to proofread. There were quite a few times when I re-read a paper after I got it back that made me say, "I wrote this? This is way to intelligent to be my paper."

But this time, I want to actually know what the argument I'm positing is after the paper is shipped off to it's recipient. I would like to be able to explain to someone who doesn't give a damn about this kind of shit (moral theory/metaethics) on an academic level what it is the author proposed and what I agree and disagree with. It just takes a lot more effort to focus.

But what else am I going to do? Write lyrics for Joe? No, that's his job. (how much more of this slacking do I tolerate from him before I decide to fire his ass? Today wouldn't be a good day to ask that question.)

No comments: