Wednesday, October 17, 2007

MC Chris is coming to your town tonight...


So I wrote out this nice long post about the show Monday night to subsequently lose it. Nice. It was the best post I've ever written (likely story.)
First off, he's much taller than I had hoped and it seems like he's lost weight. Good for him.
I finished up at work around 9pm and drove over the The Annex to see a group of kids, most of them in black hoodies, standing around the door, smoking cigarettes. That meant that I had missed the opening act, Rob DZ (local Madison Hip Hop Celeb.) but that I was wearing the correct attire. Since it was an 18+ show, I figured I may be in the upper end of the age range there that night... and I was. Best to at least look the part.
I walk in and there's rap music being spun by a DJ and more people milling around. I spot Rob DZ at the bar, sitting there talking to some guy. I got a beer and stood in the crowd listening to the music and waited for MC Chris to take the stage. As it turns out he was stalling since he didn't have all of his music so he didn't go on for roughly an hour.
When he finally got on stage, he came out and did a remix version of some song I'm completely forgetting right now. I was mostly just amazed that his voice sounded the way it did live. Almost like a munchkin. Mesmerizing. He performed most of the songs I really like, Evergreen, Ratz, W33D, The Creep, Geek, a truncated version of I Want Candy, a rough version of 'Tussin, and a rousing chorus of The Gambler. Fett's Vett was his closer, naturally but he shut off his music partway through the song and did it a Capella. Nice touch. It was disappointing that he didn't play as many songs but he explained that he had lost most of his music when his hard drive crashed a few weeks ago. He did get a replacement external hard drive but then he knocked it off the table at a show and that was ruined too. So he didn't have a whole lot of music to rap over.
During his first set break, he brought to our attention a gentleman standing at the front of the stage and informed us that this same gentleman had walked into the bathroom earlier that evening and walked into the stall he was shitting in and said, "uh... are you MC Chris?" The guy was acting like he was all cool for being called out for his egregious actions. It's one of those situations where he didn't realize that he was in a bad place for being a jackass. You don't do something like that and then stand at the front of the stage. At some point in his tirade about the whole ordeal about privacy and taking a dump, MC Chris said, "When a man is taking a shit you tiptoe around that motherfucker!" At the end of his rant, he was telling the douche to get to the back of the room or he was going to have security called to have him removed. The guy didn't get his point until security was actually moving for him. Too funny. Towards the end of the rant, we were all shouting for him to get to the back so the show could continue.
This happened a second time but with a different person. This time it was a blond chick standing up front with her boyfriend. During his first set break, he said something to her along the lines of, "if that guy's your boyfriend, you better stop making those fuck me eyes at me." Sure enough, during a pause in songs later in the evening, he sent her to the back of the room. She knew that he was serious so she left without much of a fight but when she got to the back, she ended up standing next to me in front of the mixing board. I heard her shout something about how he's ugly. She didn't even mention his short stature or a resemblance to a troll/gnome/goblin. So uncreative.
After it was all said and done, I bought a t-shirt and had him sign it. When I was standing in the autograph line, some skank pissed him off. It was a classic, "I'm so hot for you Mr. Celebrity" "Get out of here you skank." "You're an untalented, ugly shit!" exchange. Worth the price of admission.
All in all it was an alright show. I didn't expect the crowd to show it's appreciation as is the case with most 18+ shows. Kids just don't know how to have a good time at a live show these days, it seems. Maybe I see it a little differently since I had a few beers and they were only stoned. (Maybe that's why they were so sedated. Hmm...)
So yeah. Take that, second attempt at a post that was the best post ever.
And that white spot on his face that picture is some rain that got on the lens of my camera which he asked if I got in Poland. I told him it was Vintage Chinese.

1 comment:

k.barrick said...

I am immensely jealous and proud of you meeting THE m.c. chris.

also... this is a thing I've been doing while NOT blogging... or calling you.

www.microfibermilitia.blogspot.com