Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Post show fatigues

Where the i Divides played an awesome set on Friday night. We tore up the stage with hammers and prybars. Actually, I was the one doing the work (according to attendees opinion.) I had my work holiday party earlier in the evening and decided to get an extra Christmas bonus in liquid form. Needless to say, I had a good buzz going when we took the stage. Nothing like the Klinic show last December where I spaced the end of a song and played terrible solos and sloppy chords and whatever. We dubbed that show "A Christmas to Forget".

I got home around 4 am. Got up at 10 and went out cross country skiing with a few friends. Gotta get out on my skis before I head up to the Birkie again (for another three-hour pain-fest). I'm looking forward to the race this year. I'm definitely going to try and raise the bar on my sister. If I could come in ten minutes ahead of her with limited training and lungs full of smoking toxin residue, I'm going to try to best her by even more. (and she reads this blog, so maybe she'll be the one upping the stakes on me. Eh?? Either way, the competition is merly friendly.)

Sunday was a yawn-fest football style. The Chargers managed to squash the Chiefs (the Lions of the AFC) and Denver managed to lose. The Packers lined up in their usual "fourth quarter failure formation" and subsequently lost the game. (They really should put that formation in the next Madden along with Wildcat.)

We also auditioned Dave from Know Boundaries to play guitar in the band. He approached me after our show on Friday and asked if we would be interested in a second guitar. I was excited. The jam session went well on Sunday. We were all a bit worn out so we didn't spend a lot of time working on stuff and he and I will have to sit down and work out different parts that work with the existing songs but it sounded fuller overall. I've been having some reservations pop up yesterday and today about the whole ordeal. Part of our sound is the delay-laden guitars (much like that one band from Ireland). I don't know how much I'll be able to keep working in that vein with a second quitar player that isn't as interested in the "delay" sound. It's all up in the air. I'm getting together with him on Thursday night to either work out parts or to take a stab at some new ideas. He and I will talk.

I also registered for an Intro Music Theory class for the spring semester. It'll suck for the first few weeks while I relearn some of the things I've forgotten since high school (and learn things that I never knew in high school or beyond). I've never been a fan of reading music. It's always just too much work. Yeah.

Lastly, my other sister (the non-ski race competition) is getting in from San Diego next Tuesday for a few weeks. She's going to sing some back-up tracks on our album (finished by the end of December. I swear to all that is unholy). She's also going to have me record some of her songs. It's going to be a busy couple of weeks for me. Holiday gatherings, relatives, music obligations.

Tis the season.

1 comment:

samandmegan said...

i'm encouraged to read your goals to spite your sister even more at the kortie this year. she's not even training, you have a good chance :-)