Friday, August 18, 2006

I really hate it when...

So I had this great post that I was working on today and then I lost it thanks to a wonderful crash. I'm not to pleased about that. It was something along the lines of 'Dearest On-line Diary. I'm sorry I've been so drunk the last week or so. I'm sorry I didn't drop the charges against you until yesterday but I really felt that even though I was calling you a lying hussy and so on I didn't deserve to have the crap beat out of me, and so publicly I might add. But I've realized that you only did it becasue you love me so much.'

Yeah.

We made up.

The job 'interview' wasn't so much an interview as more of a do you really want this job and confirming the information that I had submitted with my resume on their website.

I went in on Wednesday to take some tests. They were essentially questions from the SAT or ACT to a certain extent. There were some trick questions as well. "If you have two coins that total 55 cents, and one of them is not a nickel, what two coins do you have?"

I used the work "grok" on a response to a question that I didn't understand what they were asking specifically. As a apprentice Philosopher, I need questions to be pretty specific, especially when they are asking for things like, "Which statement is false" and they're refering to both logical statements and mathematical equations, which have different ways of being "false."

I also had to correct grammar. One sentance had the word "lay" as a verb for the pronoun he. (He should lay down until his virtigo passes.) I scribbled it out and wrote, "sit." My device-ical understanding is that "lay is what you do to things and lie is what you do to yourself." It's funny but it keeps me straight on when to use what. This website should clear up you confusion.

Anyway. I'm just sitting tight for now. I hope to hear back from them in the next week. I could use a new job. I could use a change of pace. The band is progressing but not really on account of me. I've been showing up to practice and trying to come up with new ideas but I'm kinda not into it at the moment. I've got a lot on my mind.

If I do get this new job, it means that I'm committing myself to stay in Madison (in a I don't have to stay at this job if I don't want to but I want to because the pay is better than...) even though I had kinda felt like I really need to get out of Madison. Or to put it differently, I want to move back to Montana but my band and the living wage money isn't there, so I have to stay here.

For now.

3 comments:

Dean ASC said...

A different nickel and a 50 cent piece.

Anonymous said...

I don't take tests for a job. It shows how bad they are at picking candidates. Plus, it serves nobody. It's not like the Medical Director ever looks at me and says, "AG, ECG is to ischemia as CT scan is to what?" It's not applicable to the job!

RicketyFunk said...

Agree. Disagree.

I think that the testing is a bit odd. It's not important to the nature of the job, prima facia.

What it boils down to is closer to taking personality tests. They are feeling out who I am, over and above what I've presented in my resume. They aren't tests to see what I know as much as how do I think, solve problems, etc.

It's also a company that hires nerds. Nerds like tests.