Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Shame

I've been playing on a friend's recreational indoor soccer team at Break Away Sports in Fitchburg. Last night was the last game of the season and boy-howdy was it a rough game. We lost 13 to 2. Now, before you all go on about how terrible a team we were, I was the only person on the team who had actually played soccer before. I was their "ringer" (Ha! I'm so out of practice, I play soccer worse than I play drums at this point.)

I started playing with them four weeks ago on a night when a bunch of their team members were on vacation, so I missed the games when they played teams that were more on their level of competition. I did have 2 assists, which bests my old soccer record of only one in my entire career as a U-14 and J.V. soccer player. My position was left Defender, exclusively, so I didn't really get much action. On this team, I wound up playing more of a mid-fielder position which was a lot more running. I took three shots. Two were blocked and one went wide. Oh well. For $60.00 I can sign up for their fall league as an independant player and they'll put me on a team that's in need of a strong D/power Mid.

Ahhh... recreation.

In other news. Bombs are falling in the mid-East. People are dying. Shakira is performing somewhere to a bunch of people with a very limited taste in music.

I put a new three-way pick-up switch in my guitar last night. I'm kinda amazed that I got the wiring right. After that, I put on some new chrome knobs to replace the one chrome knob and the one plastic, numbered knob and also glued some toothpicks into the holes in the input jack plate. I've got to file the toothpicks off tonight and then I can screw the plate back on and not worry about screws falling out and my input jack falling off.

It's got me thinking that I would like to purchase another cheap guitar, take the finish off and then put my own finish on it. We'll see if I get around to that.

I also got a new cable for my camera. I don't have software at home to download the images but I think I can do it at work. I just need to remember to bring it in with me. Then you all will get to experience the wonders of Madison life as captured by yours truly.

5 comments:

Dean ASC said...

I put a Seymour Duncan Little 59 Humbucker in my G&L Legacy (a strat clone handmade in the US by the company Leo Fender started when his non-compete clause expired after he sold Fender to the Japanese.) You know, when you take the pickgaurd off and it's upside down if you're not paying attention it's really easy to mistake the bridge position with the neck position. All I can say is it sounds brighter then deeper. That and six brass washers of the correct size around the screws for the Tremolo will lock it down and give you sustain for days. Unlike changing the bridge completely it's reversable in 5 minutes.

RicketyFunk said...

Tremelo, huh?

Does this mean that a guitar with a tremelo will have less sustain if the tremelo isn't "locked" in place?

I don't like to play guitars with tremelo. It feels like playing with strings that are made of rubber for me. They bend way too much. Travis' Fender Strat is the same way. Strings are way too bendy.

I've thought about new pickups but I've got some humbuckers in it right now. I think I have to have a plain 'ol richer/fuller tone quality from my guitar if I put new ones in.

I've also though about taking an junk guitar and taking my unused effects pedals and mounting the circuitry on the guitar itself, like an old delay pedal. That would allow for modification of the delay time without having to bend down and play with the pot. I've got to put some more thought into that... it would be the ZB Delay model, complete with excitability graphics of headless babies.

Dean ASC said...

That's exactly what it means. Tremmy is why it feels like rubber. And really, how often does the average guitarist actually use it?

I have a friend who swears Hot Rails are worth every penny.

Anonymous said...

I could google it, but what is a three-way pick up? I don't know anything about guitars.

RicketyFunk said...

My guitar has two pickups in it. The switch allows me to choose with pickup is active, either one or both.

The pickup close to the neck of the guitar gives a warmer tone than the pickup further away from the neck. This is due to the resonant tone/vibration coming form the strings closer to the bridge. It's like when you strum real close to the brigde on an acoustic guitar and you get a really tinny sound from it, almost sitar-ish ("You broke my fucking sitar!!!" Anton Newcomb in Dig)

So this switch lets me select which pickup I'm using. It also helps with the tone. The switch I took out was probably a 10 cent part and I replaced it with a five dollar part. Higher quality electronics means higher quality flow of electrons.