Monday, October 23, 2006

Did it snow?

Saturday night was fun.

Per Kevin Wolf's endorsement, I went and saw Little Miss (Can't Be Wrong) Sunshine with some friends. It was a super-de-duper movie... first and foremost because Devotchka was responsible for the soundtrack. Oh man. Needless to say, I really enjoyed hearing the variations on the songs, How It Ends and the other song... um... the Bullets one. I saw them in Boulder, CO two years ago at the Fox Theater and it was a really good show. Then they were supposed to play a show in Madison with M. Ward and Norfolk & Western June of '05 but their van broke down and that's where I learned about Norfolk & Western. Coincidently, N&W has a new album out. Haven't picked it up yet but they're coming through Madison in a few weeks. It should be a good show at a crappy venue. Anyway. Devotchka played another show later in the year sometime (I forget the month... it was after I quit working for the Home Despot.) but the venue was a more intimate setting and it was a really fun show to attend (even with the weak showing of wannabe hippies that Madison can't seem to get rid of. "Keep the dream alive and Jerry will return!" Whatever.) So yeah. The movie was good, music-wise. Story was good. It made me feel something.

After the movie, I went out to the barn and started setting up for our recording session that Travis and I had talked about on Wedensday night. I have been getting increasingly impatient with the lack of progress on the recording front cuz I'm still waiting to hear from the instructor from the class at the school for the free recording and I hadn't heard anything about Danny's friend (until Saturday.) I decided that we really needed to get a 3-song demo cut for our press kit to obtain shows in the Madison/Milwaukee area and decided that we would get the music done on Saturday if it meant staying in the barn till six A.M. on Sunday. Things went smoothly as far as recording Drums, Bass, and Guitar with two microphones. There's volume discrepancies in the drums that I can't do much about. The Bass sounds decent and the guitar can be fixed with overdubs at home over this coming week. Then I just have to make Joe K. do his thing all over a microphone for three measly songs and we'll be on our way to making $25.00 for an hour of hard rockin'! (less driving time and gas money... I think we come out $15 in the hole.)

The barn was cold, again. Despite the fact that I purchased a propain heater at the Farm and Barn, (Their Toyland opened up on Saturday and it was full of INSANE Christmas shoppers. Christmas isn't for two months... eight weeks... 63 days!) it was still super cold in the barn. The fact that there was wind and temps were hitting the low 30's made it worse and it had been raining most of the day on Saturday. Well, once it got dark, the snow started to fall and it was thick, wet snow. Suitable for making rock-hard snowballs and throwing them at the Lead Vocals, but he was at a wedding so he lucked out... this time. UM... story... yeah. We finished recording at about 12 am and I had a birthday paryt to go to a few miles away. I didn't even try to get out of the drive without dropping it into 4 low, (rain all day coupled with an inch or less of snow... slippery mud) and when I got to the top of the drive, I stopped to see if Danny would be able to get out, which he wasn't. So, fortunately, I have a tow strap and we got him out and on his way.

The snow is still lingering in places, and it's snowed a little today as well. Driving home on Saturday night reminded me of going from Bozeman to Livingston on a snowy winter evening (without the trip over a mountain pass) and made me really homesick (for the mountain pass).

Just thinking about it shuts me down. Packers won. yay...(goodbye first pick, first round) Broncos won. Yay. Chargers Lost. Boooo. Bears had the week off. Raiders won..... What?

Enough for today.

We got snow. We'll be getting more. Snow makes me happy.

3 comments:

Kevin Wolf said...

Glad you liked the movie. I'll have to look into obtaining the soundtrack, which I liked but I've never heard of these musicians. Young 'uns most likely. We old folk can't keep up.

And I hate snow.

Anonymous said...

It was also a gloriously stormy, snowy night when we went to see Devotchka in Boulder...

RicketyFunk said...

I had completely forgotten about the wicked awesome storm that blew through that weekend. How many inches was it. 10 or 12 or something. I had so much fun rolling around with my 4 wheel drive.