Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Panhand-ellerou

There's this guy who panhandles outside the Walgreens next to where I work. He's there most mornings asking for change and cigarettes. He's got a weird accent and speaks fluent spanish to some people that know him. I assume that those other people are panhandlers as well cuz I'm prejudiced like that. Or maybe it's because I see some of them taking the afterknoon shift when I go and get lunch from there.

There was something that I wanted to say about that but that was like, four hours ago and I don't remember. So yeah... that's my post on panhandlers.

I also discovered that YoVee has their albums for sale on Rhapsody. Ten bucks for Too Far Gone and you don't even have to wait for Dylan at Manaloft to send it to you.

Which brings me to the point that I've been pondering as of late in regards to the potential for recording Where the i Divides and the end product that we will poop out. What's to be done with the market of selling music these days? It's not like it was ten years ago where it was super expensive to buy a CD burner and make copies of CDs and downloading was something that hackers did on Warez and Crackz pages.

What got me thinking was the fact that I didn't have to purchase the most recent album by a certain artist because I got a copy from a friend. He purchased it but I didn't and I still have a working copy, which I've put on my computer and can potentially make copies and "steal" even more from that artist. Selling music is not where we are going to make our money. Our money will be made by stealing cars and stripping them for parts sales.

I'm bothered by the fact that there's no easy path to the future of selling what may be called "Manifest Destiny" the first release from Where the i Divides outside of doing it myself. I have no qualms about running my own Label (so to speak) but it's a lot o work for one busy and required by circumstances known as spent-too-much-in-college-and-now-must-pay-that-all-back to work for a living person such as myself to do. "But what about the other guys in the band?" Is that your question? Yeah. I do the work in this band. Sure, I don't write the lyrics, melodys, bass, and drum parts (but I could if the other members of the band decided that they were to damn busy with whatever they hell they're doing.) So, I'm going to be the one getting some shows in the greater Madison/Milwaukee area lined up once I get this three song demo finished and generate a press kit. I'm going to be the on calling people and handing out information to get in as an opening band.

...

Okay, don't whining. I just didn't have much of a post about the panhadler.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in surbubia, we don't see panhandlers much here. I also rarely saw them where I lived in the city.

Overall, they make me sad. I wish we lived in a society where everyone got what they needed and didn't have to ask on the street. Sadly, we don't.

Happy Halloween!

k.barrick said...

That's some real conversation for your ass!!!

RicketyFunk said...

I think there was a thought I had when I was watching him that made me think that I wanted to live like that. Or maybe it was that I live like that but it's socially acceptable to do it my way, what with the job and the paychecks. His work includes "the act of begging."

Every time I get to the point I'm about to make, I get blocked. I can't seem to put the "3-d" idea in my head into "2-d" form on this blog.

RicketyFunk said...

I like the irony too. Pretty damn funny!