Saturday, March 08, 2008

Things I'm wasting money on

Today is a consumer day. (Much like Thursday...)

Here's what I bought today.

Item #1: I discovered volume 3 in Livingston over the fourth of July a few years ago in a little shop that's since been sold and is slowly being converted into a restaurant. Volume 3 included the awesome "Blood Ninja" excerpt which I greatly enjoy quoting. "I hang out in the alley, I smoke a fatty, I throw rocks at the cats. Stone Cold Steve Austin hands me a beer. You wanna wrestle Stone Cold? Yeaaaah!" Volume 4 introduced me to Octavia E. Butler last fall and also gave me the slogan, "I am not a euphemism". (Not to mention the companion CD's that include some rare musical gems like a non-electronic version of the Postal Service's Recycled Air.)


Item #2: I heard about this band a few years ago in a music review. They sounded interesting but the band that opened for them (the Selfish Gene) was who I was going to the show to see. (This was before I had sort of figured out the whole Bright Eyes, Wilco, Phish, Grateful Dead thing and their music.) I bought "Advice From the Happy Hippopotamus" at that show and have since been rather adamant about seeing them every time they come around. Their last album, "Meaning of 8", resonated with me for a while, but I've found that I go back to "Advice" more often. Only time will tell if the Tea Party has staying power. Super Chai Power!

No comments: