Friday, April 07, 2006

Musing in the Past

When I first moved to Montana, my friends would ask me if I was moving out there to start a cult. Sure, a freelander cult with religious overtones. That's what I said I was going to do.

The nature of a cult is getting people to believe that what you are saying is true. That's about it.

Now, Joesph Smith has become even more fascinating to me becasue of the sheer absurdity of his claims. People bought his words, staked their lives on it, and even to this day, they hold to it.

We could talk about Dianetics and Scientology but that's just a bullshit fake religion about having stuff and healing yourself with your mind and stupid shit like that. The reason why it appeals to celibrity is because it's about having stuff. And who has more stuff than them?

David Caresch (?) wasn't allowed to take his ideas nationwide. Joseph Smith and Brigham Young weren't either but they went to where there was no opposition, i.e. Missouri and then Utah. They found a way to preserve the "church" without having to fight massive opposition from neighbors.

One more thing. When I say "on the road." I'm talking about working my ass off instead of sitting in classrooms pouring acids onto blocks of stone.

2 comments:

Dean ASC said...

Why would someone who lists their profession as "Law" and who mentions serving papers on occaision spend time pouring acid into stones? Have you made a career switch into geology? If so you truly are a renaissance man.

RicketyFunk said...

Pouring acids onto stones is a method for lithography. An artist would do this in art school if they were taking lithography courses. My friend in Chicago is one of these people. She harasses me about not coming to visit her and I am just snapping back.

While I may be a Renaissance man of sorts, I'm more like Ethan Hawks character in Reality Bites. W. Ryder says something about him as a 180 I.Q. Philosophy student 10 credits away from graduating and only interested in playing music. Something like that.

The easiest way to describe me is an Artist. (I shudder at the word) I only work in Law because I was interested in Law school before I started working Legal Support. The field of Law isn't really my bag but I could probably do it if I applied myself.

In all honesty, I have no career.