Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Science

I don't have the patience to put up links right now but yesterday I was reading some different articles concerning the issue of science "debunking" religious beliefs and also religious beliefs being upheld or found to be true through science.

It doesn't sit well with me, partly due to the language of each side, that of conviction in the accuracy and certainty of what they "know" so desperatly to be true, and also partly because I study religion and philosophy and have a mind that's agile enough to understand scientific concepts as readily as metaphysical ones.

I don't have any answers at this point. It's just something that's been bothering me, or, maybe what I'm trying to say is that, Science isn't the end-all be-all of knowledge just as much as Religion isn't the end-all be-all of knowledge.

I'm reminded of an idea that I came across in my personal studies. Some people take the wide path through the pass on their spiritual journey through life, some people choose to take the path that offers more spectacular views, and yet very few opt to take a path that is not yet set by anyone.

I've been interupted in my thought process so I'll leave it at this,

Science or Religion, either way you slice it, it's only an approach to ease the uncertainty of living. To decry one on bahalf of the other is to assume that one is correct and the other not. Pragmatic thinking would suggest otherwise.

3 comments:

Dean ASC said...

Science is merely a methodology for acurately and empirically observing natural pheonomena that may allow predictions to be made given the same set of circumstances. For the most part, sciencetific observations must be repeatable to be considered valid. When enough aspects of the problem are understood well enough, science becomes engineering. Engineering is the practical application of scientific theory. Metalurgy, combustion chemistry and the bernouli effect give us flight. If science is the flipside of engineering what is the flipside of religion?

RicketyFunk said...

Social engineering.

Dean ASC said...

In other words, Social Control.