Wednesday, January 10, 2007

do nothing and remain

You would think with all the free time I've had today I would have something good to post about. Nope. Nothing.

Not going to play a drinking game with the state of the union going on tonight. Probably not going to watch it. (What kind of citizen am I? I just get tired of buzz-speak. Tired of people blowing like the wind cross the empty mind.)

I did read this today. Kinda made me laugh, on the inside. There's a line that compares salaries of Teachers to Janitors. So wonderfully amazing and true is our appreciation of both professions. The real reason why I can't afford a house has less to do with anything on that list. But at least I'm just one of the herd. I also overheard a conversation on a radio program yesterday with a comment about when Henry Ford raised the wages for his workers. His critics said that he was crazy to pay them more but he countered with the reply, "How can they buy my cars if they don't have any money?" This was from a phone interview. Here's essentially the topic that was discussed.

This just makes me sad.

"In other words, my conservative friends understand that mistreating your workers and ignoring the environment give you a competitive advantage. They just don't want us to do anything about it."

I keep feeling like I'm a stupid version of the guy that Russell Crowe played in A Beautiful Mind. I keep seeing things working in a big web of interconnected demise. Much like a worldview of perpetual decline.

"And it is true that the increase in inequality recently has not been somebody's conscious decision to do it. It's been a result of natural forces, including globalization, information technology. "

"-- people say to me, "Well, look -- look at what Wal-Mart does. I mean, look what it does for the consumer.
Well, if you can't afford health care for your kid, a cheap T- shirt is not much of a consolation. "


That takes the cake. And eats it too. That cheap T-shirt, Mr. Frank, could at some point be used as a tourniquet. (I saw these guys once in '97. Man that was a funny show.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rickety, off topic -- but you gotta hurry up! We have a Tucker Carlson situ over at Chuckles blog. He can be found at Freelancegenius at blog spot.

We are trying to get mileage and legs on this.

Anonymous said...

Are you off shopping at Wal-Mart instead of checking the blog?

RicketyFunk said...

Yes... Wal-mart. Gotta get my Tourniquet tees...

Sheesh.

I'll get to it when I get to it. (i.e., now.)