Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Grilled By the Sun

Paid my taxes last night. The beauty of the situation is this. I decided that I would put a new transfer case in my truck, again, in November, because the one that they put in for me in Mitchell, SD wasn't as good as they wanted me to believe. It was a tough decision to not sell it and sink more money into it but DAMN do I love that truck.

So I have an open balance that I still owe on it because it cost quite a bit of scratch. I've been dumping 400 quarters every so often on it and it's been slowly dimishing but I was counting on taking my "Sizeable" tax return and getting rid of the extra debt cloud hanging over me. Ha, HA! (emphasis on the second "ha")

Gets tricky here. Working two part-time jobs affords its benefits in many ways. I have flexible scheduling. I have time during the day to go and sit at a coffee shop in the middle of the day if I feel like working is for suckers and I want to read a book on Canadian westward expansion or the philosphical problems of Time and Space. (Which doesn't include my lunch break, also whenever I want it to be.) I also have next to no real responsibilty which means my pay isn't as much as it could, or should, be.

One thing that is a problem is knowing how much $$$ to withhold to get a good return, which this year I learned is about $40.00 a month more than I had anticipated. Needless to say, (is needless to say,) because I work less and make less at one job, per pay period, my employer keeps less of my money from me because it looks like I'm not going to break a certain tax bracket. Fortunately, the other job pays enough to bump me into the bracket I'm really in and each paycheck withholds more.

So I was expecting roughly a cool grand or so and ended up paying $18.00. Not bad, but I didn't want to spend the next few months re-paying off my truck. And!!! the truck is at the shop again getting E-brake cables replaced, oil change, tire rotation, and a new seal on the transfer case that these guys put in in November. (They're putting the new seal in no charge.) They're not bad guys and the family has been taking the cars to this same place for over 20 years now.

All in all, the bill went up, not down. I walked from downtown to Monona and stopped at the thrift store on the way. I bought two classy dress shirts and a nice pair of slacks that worked well with the shirts. I also scheduled my meeting/interview with the temp agency today. Time to grow up, again. But this time, I think I'm more than ready. I've tailored my lifestyle and routine to fit into the mold. I drink on Friday or Saturday. I don't stay up till three a.m. writing new material or recording second and third guitar tracks in search of the right part for that passage of the song. I go to the gym, I go to bed. I get up and do it all over again. Wishing for the day that I won't feel like I'm going to puke on the drive in.

Magic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know where you are with your truck. I've had my car for too long and it's so hard whenever she needs work. So, I too am facing that time to grow up moment and purchase something else. I just hate the thought of buying something else because transportation shouldn't cost as much as it does.

RicketyFunk said...

It's not the cost of transportation as much as it is the idea of sleeping in a new car. I never liked my Huyndai and I never slept in it (unless you count the times I fell asleep at the wheel driving cross country.) The Mazda and the Dodge were slept in on several occassions. Those were good times.

Anonymous said...

Fitter, happier, more productive, comfortable,
not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym, 3 days a week
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries at ease
Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient better driver, a safer car.....

you know the rest.

Anonymous said...

lame, you can't live your life to radio head lyrics LOL what a joke.