Thursday, June 22, 2006

New guitar case

I was searching online for custom guitar cases yestarday evening at work and didn't find anything that really struck my fancy. Everything is in the vein of molded plastics or plywood covered in fake leather or tweed. I don't think that it's a very diverse market at this point. I mean, seriously, who is not going to shit their panties when they see Jewel's handmade, beautifully detailed, $1,000.00, custom guitar case and then, after cleaning up their mess, hop online and see that they can get one for their own Ovation piece of shit guitar for a mere $200 (less detail in the inlays, of course.)

I spent last night cutting up foam for the interior. I've got to figure out an easy way to cut out the space for the guitar and the pick case. I also filled in all the holes with wood putty and decided to wait till tonight to sand it down again before applying the stain and then a first coat of polyeurathane (I think that's how it's spelled). After that, it's just a matter of insetting the hinges, attaching the hardware, and finishing the foam cutting/attaching the padding and fabric and I'll be done with the prototype. I've got an order from my sister in California for her acoustic guitar already. I also want to make one for my electric guitar since the case I have is in shambles. When I pick it up, invariably, I lose a pick or two, and the fake brass plastic trim is falling off. I does have a sweet Misfits sticker on it though. I hate the Misfits.

Today is also my sister's birthday. She sent me a text this morning saying that the leader of her band, or her old band, Yo Vee, kicked her out. I don't know what to say about that. I think that they will lose an important part of their sound, and by that I mean the interplay of my sister's voice with the lead singer. Their bass player quit last fall/winter to start his own project. I thought he was an important factor to their sound as well.

I take my sister's side. I told her to take it as an opportunity to get her ass out of this musical rut and start working on her own songs, her own sound. If she really wants it, it's there for her to take.

I've got to get back to work.

2 comments:

Dean ASC said...

polyurethane

RicketyFunk said...

yeah. That's it. I had some good luck with that stuff. Dried really quickly and is set up now. The case looks like a prototype with flaws here and there but it's still a classy looking thing.